Friday, April 16, 2010

(Un)Comfort Zone


Most of the day was spent looking for jobs. Hours of scouring the “careers” tab on websites, setting up profiles, etc. The prospects are grim.

After 26 years in my field, you would think I could walk in, apply, and walk out with an offer. I think under normal circumstances, whatever they may be, I could do that. My field is always in need of experienced people. With the economy as it is, the fact that I have become highly specialized without the benefit of the advanced degrees required today, and the amends process to my profession in which I am participating, my options are limited to the level of what feels like a stranglehold.

The reality of having to switching specialties is becoming more and more plausible. And with that comes a tremendous amount of fear.

Which brings me to the question: How willing am I? Not very. Pride is a huge stumbling block right now.

When I think about my earliest days of sobriety, there was no question I was willing to do whatever I needed to do to end the pain. I didn’t even think about the future. In fact, I didn’t think at all. I just did. Whatever I was told. And had faith it would get better. And things started happening. Good things. Things I couldn’t bring myself to hope.

Maybe this will be the same. Swallow that lump of pride that’s acting like an albatross around my neck, and apply for positions out of my comfort zone, not as specialized, and not as “glamorous”. Just be willing to do what it takes, and have faith.

Willingness, huh? I guess this is just another area where I need to “practice these principles in all my affairs”.

Better get to work on that.

Thank you for paying me a 12 Step call.

3 comments:

  1. Thoughts and prayers to you in this job search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just do it! ('member that NIKE slogan?) Good luck in your search.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both. I guess when I was specializing in my field, I never dreamed I'd be in this position. It's apparent God is leading me in a different direction. He may have closed a door, but he opened a window somewhere. It's my job to find it!

    Marie, it's funny. My former-almost-roommate works at Niketown and is always spouting that slogan. I hear it so much I've kind of turned off my ears to it, much like I did in my early sobriety with the AA slogans. Guess it's time to take the cotton out of my ears and put it in my mouth...and just do it.

    Thanks again. Your support means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete