Monday, April 12, 2010

The first step.


I haven’t been feeling well the past few days. My stomach is kind of feeble and my head feels like it is swimming. The physical aches are there, too, though not as bothersome. The combination of the three makes me feel disoriented. I am performing those things that are really only the bare minimum as I have no energy. I wonder if I’m coming down with something, or if clinical depression is settling in for an extended visit.

I’ve neglected my laundry and cleaning my room and bathrooms. My desk is piled with clutter. It’s not terribly disconcerting. I feel as though it reflects my current state of affairs.

I am not working and that is definitely a source of angst. Yet I can’t seem to get serious about my search. I think there’s a certain sense of shame I’m feeling over having been laid off. It’s not rational. For the first time since my spiral into the abyss of alcoholism, I did nothing to bring this unfortunate result. I was a worker among workers. I showed up on time, even early, every day. I didn’t goof off while I was at work. I stayed late. I went above and beyond my job description when my director was on an extended medical leave, performing her duties as well as mine. And above all else, I didn’t drink.

So why am I in such fear? It wasn’t the ideal job. There were many downfalls. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now about the company, the people, and the philosophy, I probably wouldn’t take the job. The biggest source of distress was acting as interim director. It put me in such a position to remember and feel every horrendous feeling I had at my last position. Without the ability to blot it all out without the aid of alcohol. I was angry I was again in a position that brought such unpleasantness. I didn’t like myself much back then, and those feelings came creeping back to the surface. I heaved a sigh of relief when the director returned, though I doubted her ability to continue in her position. The few months I worked with her, I felt like I was looking at myself in a mirror from 2 ½ years ago. I think that was the scariest thing about it all. (I’m saving her a seat.) I was starting to become that person again in my thoughts. A week after her return, I was downsized. I’ve come to believe that God did for me what I could (or would) not do for myself.

Sigh. It’s uncomfortable to try to explain my job-hopping in an interview. I don’t want to have to go through that again, then jump at the first offer I receive, only to have it end up like this. I am good at what I do. Very good. And I love it. Why am I feeling so paralyzed now?

Illness or depression? Sloth or fear? Victim of the economy or shame?

It doesn’t matter I guess. I just need to start putting one foot in front of the other. Whether I feel like it or not. And leave the results up to God.

I don’t need to see the whole staircase. I just need to take the first step in faith. (Credit: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Thank you for paying me a 12 Step call.

6 comments:

  1. :) Man I feel ya! I really feel ya! I've had this experience before, and I will probably have it again, I'm stubborn and full of... well I'm just an alcoholic who is thankful that God continues to bring just the right people into my life, and I have some purpose today that keeps me moving in an awesome direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a 'workie' and I am a bit lost without the structure of work. I find not working very stressful. I reckon work is your comfort zone and this messiness is a little protest of sorts against the world for being out of work. Waving your fist at the sky by leaving your clothes on the floor- kind of thing :)
    All I know is that it helps me a LOT to go to meetings every day if I am not working. Ideally 7.30 am meetings or lunchtime meetings. They help a LOT. They give my day a structure around which I can build other things, and most importantly it gives me accountability to others. I need to show my face and not isolate.

    Try a lunchtime meeting and do jobsearch stuff after the lunch meet. See how that goes. If you feel like a ninja you could try the 7.30am meetings instead :) but the lunch ones are a good start :) IF ? you have any near you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right IFOB, I do prefer morning or noon meetings over evening ones. They seem to set the tone for the entire day. Job hunting all day then going to a meeting seems to root my feet more firmly into inaction or fear.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. job hopping - check, depression- check, illness- check, fear- check, sloth- check. Julianne, you are not alone. You are not unique. This too shall pass. Thanks for being so honest. I feel your pain. Hang in there, girl!
    Many blessings,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sense of relief washes over me when I hear that someone else "gets it". Thank you, all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having been out of work for almost two years I know how you feel. I can say this, be grateful for your sobriety, drinking while unemployed only enhances the depression and every other feeling that goes with being jobless. I went on many interviews, sent out what felt like thousands of copies of my resume, and probably did. Waited for call back, after call back, and nothing. Desperation, anger, feeling like I would never work again....
    When I got sober again, I did what I always did, scanned the listings, sent out the resume. One day it happened, and the biggest thing I came to realize, I have no control. It's not up to me what job comes my way and is offered, but it is up to me whether to take it or not. I can look back now and see that a lot of jobs I thought were perfect, and I really wanted would not have been equal to the one I have just started. "Thy Will Be Done" is what I kept up front during the interview process for this last one, and I got the job, so I am going to say some prayers for you that God's will be done, and that you find the neutral feeling that it will happen for you, when it is supposed to happen. Easy to say, not easy to feel. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete