Saturday, April 3, 2010

Don't cross THIS line.


Date and I went to the meeting in Long Beach tonight that I cancelled 2 weeks ago. It was nice to take an evening drive and spend some time with my new friend. Outwardly he appears in a good place, or as good as he can be after the loss of his mother, and I think it did us both well to escape the city for a short time. This is a relatively new meeting a fair distance from home and I was looking forward to being anonymous. Well…if I didn’t believe it before, I certainly believe it now. It truly is a small world.

I was recognized and again called by name by someone I did not remember. It was a warm, instead of disorienting, feeling this time and I have made a mental note to pay attention to the friend requests I accept on Facebook. You never know who you’re going to run into. Seriously.

The uncomfortable moment came when I noticed that someone I have been trying to avoid and from whom I discourage communication was also there. I try not to avoid many people. I find it rude and hurtful. Yet, I just can’t shake this person. I feel smothered and just plain icky in his company. I haven’t heard from him in a couple of months, so I thought I had neatly gotten my message across without having to speak hurtful words.

But who was I trying to spare? Me, of course. My unreturned phone calls, ignored texts, and false interest in other things when we are in the same room served my purposes very well. I could easily blame him for not being intuitive, being clingy, or just plain creepy. What I can’t seem to do is look at how I am unable (or unwilling) to set boundaries. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that my sponsor and I talked about this very issue this morning over coffee. The irony of the meeting’s name, “Principles Before Personalities” and the speaker’s chosen theme, “Honesty” also did not escape my notice.

Why can’t I be honest about my interest (or disinterest) in a relationship, or how my willingness to remain involved at a level at which I was once comfortable has changed? Why do I find it so difficult to articulate my needs? Why do I fear a display of hurt feelings in response? Why do I assume that THAT response it the one I will receive? This is an issue with which I have made very slow progress, if any at all. My sponsor may say I’m being too hard on myself and that I have made progress setting boundaries, but tonight I feel as if I took a few steps backwards.

With this chance encounter, I fear there will be an attempt at renewed contact. My brain is in a twist. And my gut tells me it’s going to be there for a long time unless I just do the work. If I set my boundaries in a loving way and stay out of the business of how that affects the other person, aren’t I giving both of us a chance at growth?

Of course, I need to learn how to set healthy boundaries at the onset of a relationship. I see serious work in my future.

Thank you for paying me a 12 Step call.

6 comments:

  1. I'm reading a book written by Augusten Burroughs, he is going on dates that he has no interest in. Met someone that he immediately wanted to run away from, yet he stayed, character assassinated/analyzed the flaws of the person and then agreed to a second date, he doesn't know why he just doesn't tell the person how he feels and get out of there.

    I'm not done with the chapter, but your words above made me think of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heart has a mind of its own. But so is the head.. that has much to say when it comes to issues such as these. Give time and sometimes, see how they fall in their own place is best thing we can do, and sometimes, much pleasantly surprised.

    ~Silver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fear of confrontation and people pleaser are the words that come to mind. Two character defects I still ask God to remove from me. Hang in there.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

    Thank you, Mary, for that reminder. It's so easy to forget sometimes. And Marie, BINGO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made some real progress with setting boundaries today. Just thought I'd share that. And again thank you all for your support. It's nice to know I am not on this journey alone.

    ReplyDelete