Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When the light goes out.


What do you do when your favorite lamp quits working? Yes, I tried changing the light bulb and checking the breaker for the outlet. Nothing. The problem clearly lies within the wiring of the lamp itself. I’m handy with a lot of things around the house, but wiring is something for which I have a great deal of respect. And I don’t mess with it. My father was constantly repairing all things electrical. My ex-husband did as well. There were a few incidents that occurred as a result of incomplete or hurried repairs, and thankfully no one was hurt, but for the most part, I trusted that the power that ran though the wiring would do so without serious interruption to my comfort.

I have a few options here:
1) Do nothing and keep the lamp in the corner, as a purely decorative piece which serves no purpose other than as a reminder of what it once provided.
2) Have the lamp repaired which will require time and energy, knowing it is injured and at some point may become a danger to my well being.
3) Discard the lamp, mourn its loss, and replace it with a new lamp which, if chosen carefully, quite possibly will provide me with longer lasting enjoyment as well as be more complimentary to my current needs.

This lamp thing has me bugged. Not because it is broken, but because of the similarities between the options for resolution of the broken lamp and the options for resolution of broken relationships.

None of the options here are perfect. But a choice must be made. It’s not working anymore. And when something isn’t working anymore, we take action. Right? If repairs are made thoughtfully and with the help of others who have some experience, hopefully the changes that are made out of necessity will create only a tiny disturbance to my comfort. Discomfort with change is always a given in my life. But eventually I accept it and move on. Moving on is easy, what it leaves behind is difficult.
Thank you for paying me a 12 Step call.

No comments:

Post a Comment