Sunday, March 14, 2010

It's a beautiful life.


I bought flowers for myself today to celebrate.

Spring is definitely here.  There's a certain feel of the air.  It wraps itself around me like a comfortable, old blanket.  I love spring.  The sleepy world wakes slowly to coax hope from its hiding place.

I remember a day about 2 or 3 weeks ago when I saw my first hummingbird of the season.  It was early morning on my balcony.  As I watched him flitter from flower to flower, my hearing became more in tune with my surroundings.  The birds were singing beautifully.  I couldn't see many of them, but they were there nonetheless.

The first sign of spring used to be the appearance of the crocuses or tulips and the first sighting of a robin; the joy that maybe the snow was done for the next 8 or 9 months.  That was when I was living in the midwest.  I don't think I fully appreciated the stark contrast of seasons there.  In southern California, with year-round blooms, the seasons are more subtle.  Having lived here now for a full 3 years as of March 12th, I am learning the nuances.  Or maybe I am just more observant.  And filled with gratitude.

Spring also brings with it memories.  Memories, I now choose to embrace, like the coming of spring.  Definitely a gift of sobriety and developing a relationship with a Power greater than myself.

My flowers are on my bedside table where I can enjoy their fragrance; where I can be sure they are the last thing I see before I go to sleep and the first thing I see when I wake up.  Life is beautiful.  Isn't it?

Thank you for paying me a 12 step call.

No comments:

Post a Comment