Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Green in, green out.


So I chose to not wear green today. Call me a renegade. Since my favorite color is, in fact, green, and I wear it all the time, St. Patrick’s Day does not offer me any inspiration to alter my choice of attire on a Wednesday.

Being a natural redhead, with a feisty temperament, I am mistaken for a person of Irish descent all the time. One of my roommates was born and raised in Ireland (any wonder that he is the roommate with whom I clash?) and when we first met, he called me “Irish”. It was endearing, though I often wondered if it was because he couldn’t remember my name or if he was making a reference to my attitude. He is proud of his heritage and I now believe it was meant as a compliment.

Today everyone is Irish. Everything is green. And I am no exception.

My baby brother is all about the Shamrock Shakes. Gosh how I used to love them as a child! Having followed his craving for the wonderful treat for the past 2 weeks, I got a bee in my bonnet to have one…today only. (See? I can inject green activities into my day.) Absolutely delightful memories came flooding back with the first slurp. Anyone who grew up in a large family where sending someone out for McDonald’s was a rare (and expensive) treat, can understand. We may have rarely been able to order a Happy Meal or Big Mac, but we could get a (small) Shamrock Shake. Today it’s a symbol for me of what sacrifices my parents made for us. And I am grateful to know and truly feel that I was loved and cared for, in the unique way that only my parents could have done.

As I take in the pleasure of the minty green shake, I think about the green that is flowing out. Money.

A few things set me off kilter this morning and I had my feet firmly planted in avoidance. So when I finally went out to my car, I found a lovely present from LA Parking Enforcement. Grrrr! Parking is a nightmare here on Wednesdays and Thursdays: street cleaning. And yep, I know the rules. So, when I chose the action (or inaction in this case), I also chose the consequence. While I am irritated that my actions brought this additional financial burden upon me, I accept it as a path towards becoming a person of integrity. Because of the way I live my life today as a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous, I will pay the ticket. And I will pay it on time.

I now patiently wait for St. Joseph’s day which falls on March 19th. A day to wear red and celebrate my Polish heritage. You bet your dupa I’m Polish!

Thank you for paying me a 12 Step call.

No comments:

Post a Comment