Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A precious gift.


Sometimes a day is just a day. Nothing out of the ordinary happens; nothing to inspire self reflection or offer opportunity for growth. Usually, I welcome those days. They give my mind a rest, and lately with all of the step work I’ve been doing, I was beginning to think there was no reprieve in sight.

Today was such a day. I just did what was in front of me. The morning rhythm that I have come to enjoy since I broadened my recovery community by blogging was interrupted by an early venture, but I’ve learned to be flexible. “Improvise, adapt, overcome”, (from the Clint Eastwood movie Heartbreak Ridge) has become my mantra when my mojo is threatened. It works. I just postponed my routine a little. No need to run amok. The remainder of the day was uneventful.

Then…

My baby called. (The youngest of 3) She is 17 years old. I was pleasantly surprised to hear from her during the week. I try to call each of them once each weekend (I’m trying not to smother them) and she & I had already spoken on Sunday. Usually the call times are arranged through text messaging. I know it sounds so impersonal, but when you have kids that grew up with text messages, sometimes it’s the most effective way to communicate. I arrange my schedule around theirs as much as possible for this call because it is about THEM, not me. For so long I put my needs first. They deserve to have their needs supersede mine now and for a long time to come. I do let them know they can call me anytime. Sometimes they do. Like today.

She had a rough day. Preceded by a rough night. Nothing she really wanted to talk about. I didn’t push. Sometimes kids just need to hear Mom’s voice, I guess. (I can’t get the image of me righting the crystal chick yesterday out of my mind!)

What a precious gift!

Thank you for paying me a 12 Step call.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julianne, Thanks for stopping by today and taking the time to read my story. Think I will give my mind a rest today too.

    ReplyDelete